Friday, February 26, 2010

In the Kitchen: Dry Roast Granola

I bought this wonderful cookbook, Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe, at my local grocery store and found that it's full of fabulous breakfast/brunch ideas! Our family loves breakfast anytime, so I plan on getting tons of use out of it. Not only does it have recipes, it has tips and helpful ideas. I love that.
The first recipe I tried was the Dry Roast Granola and it was yummy. I found everything I needed at Mother's Market . Maybe you can find these items at your local grocer, but I knew I'd have better luck at Mother's.
Everything goes in one pan!! I double-love that!
This was my yummy, homemade, healthy breakfast the next day. Well, maybe the Cinnamon Vanilla Coffemate with a little bit of coffee wasn't so healthy...but we all need a little pick me up in the morning right? ;)
Here is the recipe:

Dry Roast Granola

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup barley flakes
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (your choice)
1/2 cup oat bran or unprocessed wheat bran
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
5 - 6 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (rounded measure)
1 tablespoon carob powder

Optional additions: 1 cup dried fruit or up to 1/2 cup wheat germ

1. Place a large (10 in.), heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oats, barley flakes and nuts and cook, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they look and smell toasty.

2. Add the oat bran, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds, as well as the coconut, if desired. Keep cooking, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes or so.

3. Sprinkle in the brown sugar and salt. Continue to cook and stir for about 3 more minutes, or until the sugar melts slightly, coating the other ingredients. Remove from the heat, sprinkle in the carob powder, and toss to distribute throughout the mixture.

4. Cool to room temperature, and add dried fruit and/or wheat germ, if desired. Transfer to a clean glass jar with a tight fitting lid or a zip-style plastic bag. To keep fresh longer, store in the freezer.

ENJOY!!!

No comments: