Saturday, November 13, 2010

In the kitchen: Gooey Butter Cookies

A long time ago I worked at Papyrus, a greeting card/gift store. We had lots of fun 'working' and we had the opportunity to buy pretty much anything the store offered at 40% off. Nice.

Except when I started to notice that I had a small store of my own at home.

I bought way too much stuff I didn't need. Just because it was cute. As if there's any other reason, right? Box after box of notecards, holiday cards, thank you cards, gifty stuff, wrapping paper (oh my gosh, the wrapping paper!!), ribbon, etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Most of my purchases have gone on to better homes and put to use. Although what I did keep, and use regularly, are three cookbooks from a line called 'Among Friends' published by Andrews McMeel Publishing (I tried to link it up, but no luck). They're kind of Farm Chick-ish.

You know, before there were 'Farm Chicks'. :)

Easy recipes that are yummy and cute ideas for home, family and friends. It doesn't hurt that the illustrations are adorable and almost every recipe has a story to go along with it...I love that!

This plate was full, side to side, and stacked two layers high two days ago.

Probably my most favorite thing in all three books, though, would have to be the Gooey Butter Cookies. Apparently (according to the story), St. Louis, MO likes to think Gooey Butter Cake is their specialty. I don't know if that's true, but whatever. If it is, more power to 'em, I say.

What I do know is that this cookie recipe is awesome!! And SO easy! You probably have everything in your cupboard right now.

That would be:

*1 box of butter recipe cake mix (1 lb. 2.25 oz.)
*8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
*1 egg
*1/2 c. butter
*1 tsp. vanilla
*powdered sugar for dipping (maybe 1 cup to start with, and you can also sift some on the cookies when they're done and cooled)
*makes 3-4 dozen

Beat the butter, vanilla, egg and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Mix in dry cake mix. Chill for 30 minutes.

Have a cuppa somethin', read some blogs, or fold laundry. Whatever you want.

Then preheat oven to 350* and lightly coat a cookie sheet (or two) with spray and roll teaspoon sized cookies and then roll around in powdered sugar (the cookies, not you...unless you're into that...), put on sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. I like 11 minutes.

Let cool and then EAT! They make a great food gift; who knows if somebody likes chocolate, nuts, icing or whatever...EVERYBODY likes butter. Right???

The only problem is they are bite sized. Which means it's way too easy to go through a whole plate in two days (see above).

Go. Make them. Now.


No comments: