Saturday, October 15, 2011

In the Kitchen: Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies

I'm not a huge fan of marshmallow in it's 'natural' state and marshmallow creme holds a close second to that so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about these little guys.  As I read the recipe I saw that 
the filling calls for marshmallow creme.  
ick.  

(The funny thing is that I had a full jar in my pantry...I have no idea why considering I don't use it. hmmm.)

But guess what?  If you mix it with butter and powdered sugar it's amazing!!!  ha!

I found this particular recipe on Julie's blog, Joy's Hope,  and she found it on Pinterest.  

(She has 3 super cute girls, a new baby boy and a story I can unfortunately relate to.  If you read Joy's story, you'll 
understand what I mean. Anyway, her family lives in the same area we did before we moved, so I feel a 
certain kinship to her  for those reasons, although I don't know her personally.  Corny, I know, but hey...)



They are THE BOMB!!  They have the lightest pumpkin flavor and that filling....oh my goodness.  I don't even need a stinkin' whoopie pie to eat it!  Just give me the dang spoon already!!

I used a whoopie pie pan and as good as they are at holding the round shape, they leave little to be desired in the process of getting the dough flat.  I sprayed the bottom of a measuring cup to help press down the top a little bit, but they still were a little poofy.  Not a big deal, really, just something that I came across....

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
COOKIES
One pouch sugar cookie mix. 
1 tbsp flour
1/2 c canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/3 butter, softened
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 egg

FILLING
2/3 c marshmallow creme
1/3 c butter, softened
2/3 c powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375*
1. In a medium bowl, stir together cookie mix and flour.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well.

2. Scoop (I use a cookie scoop, but 1-2 tablespoons should fill the cup 2/3 of the way...or a tad more) into pan.  If using a regular cookie sheet, drop 2 inches apart.

3. Bake 8-10 minutes.

4. While baking, mix filling with an electric mixer.

5. Wait for cookies to cool completely before adding filling and assembling.  I rolled ours in some fall-ish  sprinkly balls and also some mini semi sweet chocolate chips.  So good either way!!  

ENJOY!!!!!


No comments: