Thursday, April 29, 2010

Apron-o-rama!!

Today my mom shared with me that she had some contraband. She was given some items that had belonged to her grandmother, Little Mama. That nickname was given to her a L O N G time ago by her grandson. She was small, but she could do anything. And she had. She and Granddaddy had survived the depression without too much strife. Farmed. Drove to California from Oklahoma in 1939 with her family in tow. Set up house with not too much. Just the basics. (Boy, could she cook!!!) They had five children: Edsel, Marjorie, Bobbie, Bill and Fadwa. Fadwa is my grandma (named after an Indian friend of the family). Bobbie died in a fire when she was around 16 years old. Little Mama and Granddaddy survived that, too. My aunt Margie is still alive (as is my grandma), but the boys have passed away many years ago now. They were so funny!! Jokesters deluxe. I really, really miss them.

There is so much more, but you get the idea.

Anyway, when my great grandparents passed away, there was a lot of 'stuff' left behind. That turns the most sane people into crazy people as far as I've seen. Everybody wants something and more often than not, they want it all. Certain things were sold off and given away, but there were more personal things that found homes...some things took longer than they should have to get there, but I guess that's par for the course. Sometimes.

So today, my mom opens up this huge suitcase full of china my great grandfather had bought for Little Mama and aprons. The cutest aprons I think I've ever seen. And she made them all. Well, all but one. These items were given to her a few years ago and nobody knew that she had them. I know it sounds awful, but it is what it is. And now it is MINE! ;)

I'm going to take pictures tomorrow. I can't wait to share them with you.....

No comments: